Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Golden Opportunity (To the Top!)

Today I ran into the teacher I had in college that is my all time favorite teacher ever. He is the reason I changed my major to English and ultimately became a teacher. And guess what...I told him that! A long time ago, I saw him in Mahogany bar one night and felt like I needed to tell him, but I lost the nerve. For years I have regretted not telling him and have thought fondly of his class. I try to have his attitude toward my kids, even going so far as to call my student's Mr. or Mrs. and their last name like he, so respectfully, would do in his class. I try really hard to make each of them think critically and I want them to feel smart when they do. One of my students told me yesterday, "Mrs. Giles, your class makes me feel smart!" It made me feel so good, and I remember Dr. Mayes's class making me feel like that. Anyway, I just wanted him to know. If it were me, I would want to know. My friend Lisa, who kind of held my hand as I walked up to tell him, said she was proud of me after I told him and said that while I was telling him my voice broke a little like I was gonna cry. You don't understand, I told her, he lit my fire! God puts certain people in your way that change your path, and Dr. Micheal Mayes was a huge roadblocks and sudden detour for me. I just wanted to say thanks and I am glad I got a second chance to do just that. It was definately cool!


*I hope he didn't think I am like a psycho stalker or anything (ha)*

No comments:

Post a Comment