Thursday, February 26, 2009

Yummy!

Well, I am really interested in turning my childhood, or anyone else's childhood, comfort food into a healthy "they will TRULY never know it is diet food" recipe. I feel like eating right is a life change, and it affects so many other things. I do think it is important to indulge every know and then, but wouldn't it be nice to FEEL like you are indulging yet not be because you have figured out a way to make your food healthy. My favorite compliment is when, after eating, I say, "Hey, that was weight watchers," and for people to be (or at least "act") surprised.

My point, my point is that I have started to follow food blogs (which are really fun), and I am terribly bad about making recipes, going through the trouble to figure out the point value for the recipe, really enjoying the recipe, and promptly forgetting the recipe. So this blog will henceforth contain photos, commentary on my epiphanies, and my newest yummy recipes (complete with points values for my weight watcher buddies).

Best of all...I NEVER make anything difficult because I don't have the time, and I have a picky eater at my house now (I am talking about Bryan, not Ty...Ty loves sushi, risotto, and escargots for goodness' sake...have you ever heard of anything so crazy!); therefore, I can not afford to by expensive ingredients for outlandish and unheard of recipes. It is ALL comfort food. YUM-O

Without further adieu...the first recipe (photo to come)

Chicken Spaghetti
(Serves 8; I made two small ones though that serve four and froze one for Bible study or Bunco nights)
One 8 oz box of cooked spaghetti (whole wheat or ronzoni-don't forget to salt your water)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and diced (season chicken with salt and pepper)
can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom
can of 98% fat free cream of chicken
one diced onion
half of a bell pepper diced
can of rotel or diced tomatoes if you don't want it spicy
1/2 block of 2% velveeta cheese
1/3 cup of 2% cheddar cheese

Point value: 5 points per serving


Saute onions and bell pepper in skillet sprayed with olive oil spray until they are soft. Stir rotel (and I like black olives so I slice some and put them in the veggies too) into the onions and bell peppers and warm them up. In a BIG pot stir spaghetti, chicken, both soups, veggies, and cut up block of cheese to stir in as well. Pour all of that into a large casserole dish OR two small casserole dishes (and put one in freezer for Bunko night). Sprinkle with cheddar and bake at 350 degrees for around 12-15 minutes. ENJOY!

4 comments:

  1. I love that you're doing this! I'm so proud . . . even more so that you are using onions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andie, I sauted my onions VERY well! It is not the onion that I have an aversion (spelling) to...it is the sudden crunch in food that should NOT go crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo... I noticed it serves four... We wouldn't want any to go to waste, it's probably not any good left over. So let me know when you make it and I'll try to get over to ya'll house and help you out. =)

    P.S. When are you making poppyseed chicken again?

    ~Barbs

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are more than welcome to come the next time we have it. I need to put the poppy seed chicken recipe online as well because it is like 6 points per serving

    ReplyDelete